Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Graphic Design
The Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Graphic Design is a 3-year programme. Graduates with Diploma in Computer Graphic Design will get credit transfer for the ﬁrst year. This programme also acts as a feeder to the Bachelor of Art (Hons) in Graphic Design programme which aims to produce Designer experts for the society needs. The potential demand for such professions is always great due to the rapid changes and the advancement in the art, science and technology.
Bachelor’s degrees in graphic design help students learn the skills and software required to work in the industry. These programs typically include foundational design courses as well as general education coursework, and they may culminate in a professional portfolio. Graduates of these programs may pursue entry-level graphic design work or master’s degrees.
The aim of the Graphic Design course is to develop a student’s understanding of the role, desires and possibilities of design, towards (independent) practice. The department focuses on teaching students on how to organize and shape information within today’s social and cultural context, based on knowledge of the history of design and with an emphasis on the role played by conceptual and editorial approaches to it. Develop the students understanding in applying the principles taught to a variety design problems and generate creative thinking and problem solving.
Apply the knowledge taught in graphic design concept for graphic artworks and become proﬁcient and competent in key areas of design courses. Engage with an industrial contemporary practice in an innovation which conceptualizing learning related to graphic design ﬁeld.
- A pass in STPM with a minimum of Grade C (GP 2.00) in any two (2) subjects, or its equivalent; OR
- A pass in STAM with a minimum grade of Jayyid; or its equivalent; OR
- A Certificate in Matriculation or Foundation with a minimum of CGPA of 2.00, or its equivalent; OR
- A pass in Diploma Kemahiran Malaysia (DLM) / Diploma Lanjutan Kemahiran Malaysia (DLKM) / Diploma Vokasional Malaysia (DVM) in suitable fields with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 subjected to Senate / Academic Board’s approval (Note : The HEPs are to conduct screening and provide necessary guidance specific to the disipline of the programme); OR
- A pass in DKM / DLKM / DVM with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 and at least have two (2) years of working experience in a related discipline; OR
- Other relevant equivalent qualifications recognized by the Malaysian Government; AND
- Pass an interview OR submission of portfolio determined by the HEP as required; and
- Achieve a minimum score Band 3 in MUET or equivalent.
ENGLISH COMPETENCY REQUIREMENT (INTERNATIONAL STUDENT)
Achieve a minimum score Band 3 in MUET or equivalent.
This qualiﬁcation will give students the opportunity to work in numerous industries within graphic design, advertising and publication technology ﬁelds. With the knowledge and skills enhanced in the program, students will be able to apply and contribute their knowledge to the design industry.
- Graphic Designer
- Advertising Designer
- Art Director
- Creative Director
- Corporate & Branding Designer
- DTP Artist
- Promotions and Marketing Managers
- Instructional Designer
- Packaging Designer
- Webpage Designer